Lung Function Testing (Spirometry)
If you have a history of asthma, chronic cough or any breathing difficulties, we are likely to have you do a breathing test called spirometry which gives us important information about your lung health and function. We have a high tech spirometry device attached to a tube. You will be asked to take a deep breath, then to exhale as strongly and quickly as possible. If appropriate, we may then give you a couple of puffs from an albuterol inhaler and repeat the test to see if your lung function improves. Spirometry gives us the information to:
- Find out if you have asthma
- Track changes in your lung function over time
- Figure out if medication is necessary and which would be most effective for you
- Improve your overall lung function as much as possible
- Know if you are a good candidate for allergy shots or XOLAIR®
Depending on the results of the initial spirometry test, this test may be repeated at future visits to track changes in your lung function. Call us today to find out how you or your child can start breathing easier.