XOLAIR® (Omalizumab) is in a novel class of medications approved for the treatment of moderate to severe persistent allergic asthma and urticiria (hives).
According to the National Guidelines, if you experience 2 or more attacks a year that require oral steroids, your asthma is not well controlled. Other signs that your asthma may not be well controlled include:
- Waking up at night 1 to 3 times per week
- Requiring rescue medication (albuterol) more than 2 days a week
- Limiting your participation in daily activities
- Requiring urgent medical care such as an emergency room visit or hospitalization
- Causing daytime symptoms (wheezing, breathlessness, chest tightness, cough)
XOLAIR® is a steroid-free prescription medication given by injection to people who:
- Have moderate to severe persistent asthma
- Have asthma triggered by year-round allergens in the air.
- Continue to have asthma symptoms even though they are taking inhaled steroids
How does XOLAIR® work? Your body produces IgE in response to certain allergens. For 6 in 10 people with asthma, IgE triggers the release of chemicals, which may lead to an attack. XOLAIR® captures IgE to prevent asthma attacks and symptoms.
While XOLAIR® has been extremely helpful for many of our patients, there are risks involved, and it is not right for everybody. Talk with Dr. Reid or Janel Liverato, PA-C to see if you qualify for XOLAIR® and if it is a good choice for you. You can also check www.xolair.com for more information.