XOLAIR® (Omalizumab) is in a novel class of medications approved for the treatment of moderate to severe persistent allergic asthma.
According to the National Guidelines, if you experience 2 or more attacks a year that require oral steroids, your asthma is not well controlled. Other signs that your asthma may not be well controlled include:
- Waking up at night 1 to 3 times per week
- Requiring rescue medication (albuterol) more than 2 days a week
- Limiting your participation in daily activities
- Requiring urgent medical care such as an emergency room visit or hospitalization
- Causing daytime symptoms (wheezing, breathlessness, chest tightness, cough)
XOLAIR® is a steroid-free prescription medication given by injection to people who:
- Have moderate to severe persistent asthma
- Have asthma triggered by year-round allergens in the air.
- Continue to have asthma symptoms even though they are taking inhaled steroids
How does XOLAIR® work? Your body produces IgE in response to certain allergens. For 6 in 10 people with asthma, IgE triggers the release of chemicals, which may lead to an attack. XOLAIR® captures IgE to prevent asthma attacks and symptoms.
While XOLAIR® has been extremely helpful for many of our patients, there are risks involved, and it is not right for everybody. Talk with Dr. Reid or Amber to see if you qualify for XOLAIR® and if it is a good choice for you. You can also check www.xolair.com for more information.